Name Change On An Iowa Drivers License

Have you recently gotten married, divorced, or had to change your legal name? The state MVD recommends that you change the name on your Iowa drivers license as soon as possible. Select from the options below to get started.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many MVD related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. In addition to assistance in preparing official forms, the value added services and products you will receive include a comprehensive Easy Guide™ containing information relevant to your service needs; 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service from Road America. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the MVD in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local MVD.

3: Via a MVD office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local MVD office. Varying MVD offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the MVD closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your MVD allows you to make a personal appointment.


To change the name on your license you must provide proof of your legal name change. You will want to visit the Social Security Administration to change your name before proceeding to the MVD. Click here for more information about changing your name with the SSA.

Required Documents 

  • Marriage document
  • Divorce decree
  • Certificate of Naturalization showing a new name or Court-ordered name change
  • U.S. citizenship (if you have not established your citizenship with us) or immigration status (including Department of Homeland Security permission to work in the United States.

Download, Print and fill out the following:

Take or mail your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office. All documents must be originals.

For More Information:

Social Security Administration
Office of Public Inquiries
Windsor Park Building
6401 Security Blvd.
Baltimore, MD 21235

MVD Office

Take your name change to the MVD office. There is a $1 fee for a name change. 

You may need the following:

  • Certified copy of a court order that grants and orders the name change.
  • Certified decree of divorce that grants and orders the name change.
  • Certified copy of a marriage certificate that reflects the name change.

For a complete list of what is needed to change your name on your Iowa drivers license get your complete checklist here.

How to: