Iowa Car Registration Change of Address

Have you recently moved to a new residence in Iowa? You will need to change the address on your car registration to keep it current. Select from the options below to get started.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many MVD related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. In addition to assistance in preparing official forms, the value added services and products you will receive include a comprehensive Easy Guide™ containing information relevant to your service needs; 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service from Road America. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the MVD in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local MVD.

3: Via a MVD office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local MVD office. Varying MVD offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the MVD closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your MVD allows you to make a personal appointment.

Changing Your Address on Iowa Registration

You must notify the Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT) within 30 days of changing your mailing address. You can do this process in person, online, by mail or fax. To change your address in person, visit your local DOT office. For locations, go to: To change your address online, go to myMVD at: To do this process by mail, print a Change of Address Notice and send it to: Office of Driver Services, Iowa Department of Transportation, P. O. Box 9204. Des Moines, Iowa 50306-9204. To access form, visit: