Iowa Transfer Car Title

Do you need to transfer your car title in Iowa? If a IA car title is currently in your name, but should be amended, learn more about the process and get started by following the steps below.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many MVD related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. In addition to assistance in preparing official forms, the value added services and products you will receive include a comprehensive Easy Guide™ containing information relevant to your service needs; 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service from Road America. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the MVD in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local MVD.

3: Via a MVD office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local MVD office. Varying MVD offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the MVD closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your MVD allows you to make a personal appointment.

Iowa Car Title Transfers

You may need to transfer a title if you are buying, selling, transferring, gifting or inheriting a vehicle. When you're ready to make your vehicle sale official, ask the seller to sign and date the title. If there is a lienholder, he will also need to sign. Take the paperwork to your nearest county treasurer's office to complete the title transfer process. To contact treasurer visit:

If you are buying a new car, the dealer will assist you in completing all of the paperwork needed for the title transfer. If you are selling a vehicle, complete an odometer statement and the damage disclosure statement. Complete the Certificate of Title by entering the mileage, then signing and dating the document. Have the buyer sign and date the title, then provide him/her with the name of the county where the vehicle was last registered and the date the license plates expire and a bill of sale.